Tuesday, March 18, 2008

He paused, and then said:--"I shall die three hours hence."Then he continued:--"I am something of a doctor; I know in what fashion the last hour draws on. Yesterday, only my feet were cold; to-day, the chill has ascended to my knees; now I feel it mounting to my waist; when it reaches the heart, I shall stop. The sun is beautiful, is it not? I had myself wheeled out here to take a last look at things. You can talk to me; it does not fatigue me. You have done well to come and look at a man who is on the point of death. It is well that there should be witnesses at that moment. One has one's caprices; I should have liked to last until the dawn, but I know that I shall hardly live three hours. It will be night then. What does it matter, after all? Dying is a simple affair. One has no need of the light for that. So be it. I shall die by starlight."
From: Les Miserables.

4 comments:

DESPARADO said...

death is useless.
life is useless.
life is bullshit.
what i mean is that all we do,in the end it doesnt make any sense at all.
its all in the present

Rob said...

i agree with you, all there is , is now. also in this story the man sounds , he lives in the now. he is not sorry or regretful, its time for him to die, and he accepts it, he even makes fun of it saying i don't need light to die, it doesn't matter if day or night. nice to have you here desparado.

drips of paint said...

What will I say at my last momemt??? hmmm ... but no hurry to find out ...

Rob said...

no hurry at all indeed. :)